OCAD University’s newest entrepreneurs from the Imagination Catalyst squared off at the Cassels Brock Pitch Competition on September 27, competing for $5000 in start-up funding. Abid Virani, co-founder & COO of Fable Tech Labs, took the top prize, out-pitching their colleagues from OCAD U’s business incubator.
The Cassels Brock annual pitch competition was sponsored by Cassels Brock, City of Toronto, StartUp HERE Toronto, and Steam Whistle.
Fable is a startup that helps companies and development teams build accessible digital products by engaging people living with a disability in user testing. Fable is founded by two OCAD U Inclusive Design graduates Alwar Pillai and Abid Virani.
Other Imagination Catalyst startups that took part:
- Pathways, founded by Dane Carlsen (Industrial Design ’18): an online platform that interactively maps out career pathways for university students
- Play Ball, founded by Hugo Voss (Industrial Design ’18): a startup that’s re-imagining the cross-section of traditional sports balls
- Prosthetics of Mind, founded by Wendy Whaley (MFA ’18): a biometric XR content studio that creates immersive experiences to empower, inspire, motivate and connect
The judging panel comprised of four Imagination Catalyst Advisory Board members:
- Aly Somani ̶ Lawyer, Cassels Brock
- Jeannette Wiltse ̶ Operating Partner and CFO, Relay Ventures
- Nancy Jain – President, G&N Developments
- Paul Rowan – Co-founder, Umbra
Imagination Catalyst is a creative industries, design and social innovations ecosystem at OCAD University. The IC business incubator supports highly diverse group of companies and entrepreneurs all committed to design-driven innovation.
Imagination Catalyst is funded and supported by OCE’s Campus-Linked Accelerator program along with Relay Ventures, Gobalive Capital and Cassels Brock, among other public and private partners.