IGNITE GALLERY IS HIRING STUDENT MONITORS
Ignite Gallery represents the current creative voice of OCAD University students and recent graduates through exhibitions, events and community programs.
Located in Kensington Market, Ignite Gallery is currently recruiting IWSP-eligible Student Monitors for the Fall/Winter term to serve as front-line staff informing visitors about exhibitions and public events, to supervise the gallery, responsible for opening and closing procedures and assist with install takedown and special events programming.
Reporting to the Community Coordinator, Ignite Gallery, the Ignite Gallery Student Monitor will:
- Greet visitors as they enter the gallery and provide information on present and upcoming exhibitions, public events and general gallery and OCAD U information.
- Assist with installation and take-down of exhibitions, as needed, which may include: light lifting and moving of objects, installing hanging material, moving plinths, patch/repair and paint walls and hanging wall labels, comfort on a ladder is an asset.
- Track daily attendance and log the data using excel software.
- Social media updates on Instagram and Facebook
- Perform opening and closing procedures including: using the security alarm, turning on and off the works in the exhibition, keeping the gallery tidy and locking all doors.
- Provide staffing assistance for all public programs and events, such as the opening reception, where duties may include: setup and takedown of chairs and tables, serving food, selling drinks and taking photographs.
- Ensure all exhibition elements are in proper working order and all gallery areas are clean/tidy. Examine the exhibitions daily to identify if maintenance is needed on artworks, perform corrective action (as appropriate) and notify other staff as needed.
- Perform administrative tasks including, basic graphic design, writing reports related to gallery attendance and audience response. Replenishes gallery material, such as exhibition brochures, at the front desk and other areas as needed.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Community Coordinator and Gallery System management.
- Eligible for the Institutional Work Study Plan (IWSP)*
- Currently enrolled as an OCAD University student
- Interest in contemporary art and design
- Able to work with power tools and on ladders
- Comfortable in a public speaking role
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under general direction and in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; enjoy working with the public
- Must be able to work flexible hours for public event shifts
- Looking for someone who is engaged with the arts, genuine, fun, reliable and committed to helping a small gallery thrive.
- Ability to operate audio/visual and office equipment
- Knowledge and comfort using social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram)
- Smart Serve certified
- Graphic design skills or competence in creative suite
Duration: start the week of September 3rd to February 2020 with the possibility of renewing for the following exhibition period
Rate of pay: $15.68 per hour (which includes pay in lieu of vacation and benefits)
Schedule: 1-2 regular weekly shifts to be determined, resulting in between 5-10 hours/week, depending on availability
Please submit the following to Morgan Mavis, Community Coordinator, at email@example.com
- a cover letter
- your IWSP eligibility confirmation for the Fall/Winter
*Institutional Work Study consists of part-time employment for students on or near campus while they are enrolled in a program of instruction, to supplement OSAP assistance received by students, or to assist other students with demonstrated financial need.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to apply for the IWSP:
- Be an Undergraduate or Graduate student at OCAD U during the 2018 Fall/Winter
- Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person
- Be an Ontario resident or out-of-province student and have submitted an error-free loan application
- Be registered in full-time studies (as defined by OSAP) during the 2018/19 fall/winter semester; for the summer session students must be registered in at least 0.5 credits
- Demonstrate financial need (priority is given to OSAP students; out of province students will only be considered if funds are available)
- Note: if you are an out-of-province student, you must attach a copy of your loan/student aid assessment document showing federal/provincial funding.
- Note: if you are restricted from OSAP or out-of-province loans, please visit the Financial Aid & Awards Office in person to meet with an advisor to discuss your restriction.
For more information on the IWSP program, please visit the Student Employment webpage here.
Applications will be accepted until midnight, August 20th, 2019
Interviews August 28th & 29th
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions