DEADLINE: Monday, November 26, 2018
RATE: $16/ hour for an average of 12 hours/ week with expected increased hours during exhibition installation periods.
TERM: Part-time, January - December 2019 (48 weeks)
Scrap Metal Gallery is welcoming applications for the part-time position of Research and Curatorial Assistant. This position will support the Director/ Curator on various research and curatorial tasks related to the Gallery’s 2019 exhibition programming. The position requires an average of 12 hours per week with expected increased hours during exhibition installation periods.
Scrap Metal Gallery is a privately-funded not-for-profit art project space that endeavours to present bold, critical and poetic contemporary artworks through a carefully curated exhibition program. Since its inauguration in 2011, Scrap Metal has presented solo exhibitions by artists such as Miroslaw Balka, Ragnar Kjartansson, Eva Kot’átková, Paul P., Ryan Gander, Iris Häussler, Edson Chagas and Abraham Cruzvillegas. The gallery is committed to collaborating with other cultural organizations. Art en Valise, Toronto International Film Festival and Scotiabank Contact Photography Festival are on-going collaborators.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direction of the Director/ Curator:
- Research and developexhibition content.
- Assist in research, compilation of artwork lists, documentations of artwork, record and file maintenance.
- Assist in exhibition curation including retrieval of materials, researching and verifying information, correspondence with lenders, artists and donors, and generating exhibition copy.
- Provide tours, information and answers, or refer questions about exhibitions.
- Assist with the installation, strike and events related to the exhibitions.
- Assist in planning schedules and travels of the gallery, and replying to external requests for information.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Must have graduated from OCADU in 2017 or 2018.
- Strong communication skills both verbally and in writing with a level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated research and presentation skills.
- Ability to work on multiple projects and manage workload accordingly.
- A good attention to detail, timekeeping and organizational skills
- Proactive and self-motivated team player.
- Computer skills: Word, Excel. etc.
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suites is an asset.
- Experience in curating and writing or editing exhibition and catalogue text is an asset.
- Full contact information (Name, phone, and email), a confirmation of eligibility and a current CV.
- A cover letter outlining interest and relevant background.
- A short one-page writing sample.
Please submit all written components in one (1) PDF to the attention of Tak Pham firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, visit the Career Launchers Website