Call For Emerging Artist Facilitators | 2020 Chinatown Lantern Installation
Deadline: Friday, January 3, 2019 at 5pm
Are you currently an OCADU student? Do you have an interest in community engagement and artist facilitation? Does your artistic practice involve mixed media, interdisciplinary sculpture, or site-specific installation?
In partnership with the Chinatown BIA and OCAD University, The STEPS Initiative is seeking emerging artists interested in gaining hands-on facilitation skills and supporting the production of a large-scale community lantern installation, part of Chinatown’s 2020 Chinese New Year celebration.
The selected artist(s) will:
- Attend a project training session on Thursday, January 9 from 5-7pm.
- Work closely with the Lead Artist and STEPS team to actively support the facilitation of three (3) intergenerational and family-friendly workshops at which community participants will create lanterns to be incorporated into a lantern installation.
- Greet participants, creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for co-creation.
- Lead set-up and clean-up activities at each workshop venue.
- Assist Lead Artist and STEPS on production and installation activities, as needed.
- Be available January 4 through February 10, 2020 (including January 11, 18 and 25) to fully-participate in this opportunity.
- Support outreach for this project, sharing information through individual networks.
- There are two (2) Emerging Artist Facilitator positions available. Each will receive an honourarium of $500 for their role in this collaborative project at the conclusion of the project.
- To qualify for this opportunity, all applicants must be current students OCAD University.
Interested artists must provide the following no later than Friday, January 3, 2020 at 5pm.
- Artistic Statement outlining interest in the project, public art, community engagement, and facilitation experience. Please also include any connection that you may have to the Chinatown community in this statement (PDF max 500 words).
- Artistic CV outlining education, exhibition, related work experience (PDF max 2 pages)
- 3 Artistic Support Images (max 1024px x 768px) of past work that you feel are most relevant to the opportunity described in this call (JPG format).
- Please send all applications by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, with subject heading, Last Name, First Name - Emerging Artist Facilitator Application.
STEPS will be hosting an info session for this opportunity on Wednesday, December 18th from 2pm-3pm at the OCADU Centre for Emerging Artists and Designers, 115 McCaul Street.
If you are unable to attend the session and have questions related to this call, please reach out to email@example.com prior to Thursday, December 19th and we will be happy to field your inquiries.
We thank all applicants, but only those shortlisted for this opportunity will be contacted.