Ignite Gallery (formally known as Student Gallery) is an exhibition venue funded by OCAD University located in the heart of Kensington Market at 165 Augusta Avenue. The gallery serves the campus community by exhibiting projects by OCAD University students and recent graduates, creating professional practice training opportunities and providing social space. The gallery also serves as a bridge between the University and Toronto’s art, design and digital media communities.
Reporting to Ignite Gallery Staff, Ignite Gallery Monitors serve as important front-line staff welcoming and informing visitors about our exhibitions and events. They also supervise exhibitions during public gallery hours.
The Ignite Gallery Student Monitor will:
- Greet visitors and provide information on present and upcoming exhibitions, public events, and general gallery and OCAD University information.
- Supervise exhibitions to enhance visitor experience, encourage conversation and engagement, process sales and related inquiries as applicable, and generally enforce gallery rules and etiquette.
- Track daily attendance
- Ensure exhibition elements are in proper working order and gallery areas are clean and tidy. Examine exhibitions daily to identify if maintenance is needed on artworks, perform corrective action (as appropriate), and notify staff as needed.
- Perform administrative tasks including writing reports related to gallery attendance, audience response and sales inquiries. Replenish gallery literature as needed.
- Perform opening and closing duties including: turning on and off works in the exhibition, keeping gallery spaces tidy, and locking all doors.
- Provide staffing assistance for all public programs and events, including receptions, where duties may include: setup and takedown of chairs and tables, serving food, selling drinks, and taking photographs.
- Assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions, as needed, which may include: light lifting and moving of objects, lighting, installing hanging material, moving plinths, as well as general gallery restoration work (patch/repair and painting walls).
- Attend Student Monitor orientation meetings prior to the opening of an exhibition, and any other meetings as called by the Ignite Gallery staff.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by gallery staff including some social media assignments.
- Currently enrolled as an OCAD University student.
- Interest in contemporary art and design.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under general direction and in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills; enjoy working with the public.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, including weekends and occasional evenings.
- Must be IWSP eligible.
Ability to operate audio/visual and office equipment.
Knowledge and comfort using social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
Smart Serve Certified.
Duration: early September until December 11, 2017 (Fall term), with possibility of renewing for the Winter term.
Rate of pay: $12.43/hour - plus 4% in lieu of vacation and 8% in lieu of benefits
Schedule: 1-3 regular weekly shifts to be determined, resulting in between 5-15 hours/week, depending on availability. Saturday & Sunday shifts are often required.
Vacancies: 3-4 regular Student Monitor positions; 2-3 Student Monitors for special event assistance, and on an as-needed basis
Please submit via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) the following to the Ignite Gallery staff:
- a cover letter
- your IWSP eligibility confirmation for the Fall 2017 semester
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m., August 27, 2017.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.