This year marks the 10th anniversary of OCAD U’s iconic Sharp Centre for Design, and it’s also the 10th anniversary of Look Inside, the university’s annual campus open house.
Since 2004, students interested in studying at OCAD U, their friends and family, OCAD U supporters and members of the community arrive on campus at 100 McCaul Street to see what the Sharp Centre for Design looks like from the inside and find out what’s happening in the studios. Organizers expect this year’s event, on October 25, will be bigger than ever, with more than 2,000 visitors.
During Look Inside all of OCAD U’s shops and studios are open, from the drawing, painting, jewellery and photography studios to the wood and metal shops and foundry. Visitors can watch students, faculty and staff members at work on projects, and sometimes even have the chance to try their hand at making things.
Student work is also on display throughout 100 McCaul, representing every program. This year there will be an emphasis on the work by students in some of the university’s newer programs, including Visual and Critical Studies, Indigenous Visual Culture and Digital Futures. For example, the Digital Futures students are planning demonstrations of their interactive exhibits and videogames.
Throughout the day faculty, staff and students will be on hand to answer questions about the university’s range of fine art and design programs as well as the new bachelor of art program. There are also talks scheduled in the auditorium as follows:
- 11 a.m. Becoming an OCAD U Student, presented by Admissions
- noon: Financing Your Education at OCAD U, presented by the Financial Aid Office
- 1 p.m.: The Future of Art and Design, a talk by Dr. Sara Diamond, OCAD U’s president
- 2 p.m.: The Value of Art and Design: Career Prospects for OCAD University Graduates, presented by Zev Farber, Manager, OCAD U’s Centre for Emerging Artists and Designers
- 2:30 p.m. Becoming an OCAD U Student, presented by Admissions
Find out more
Sharp Centre for Design
Study at OCAD U