Onsite Gallery is OCAD University’s flagship public professional gallery and experimental curatorial platform for art, design and new media. Fostering social and cultural transformations, Onsite serves the OCAD U community and the general public.
Onsite Gallery is currently recruiting IWSP-eligible Student Monitors for the Summer term to serve as front-line staff welcoming and informing visitors about exhibitions and public events, to supervise the gallery and engage with visitors.
Reporting to the Programs Coordinator, Onsite Gallery, the Onsite Gallery Student Monitor will:
- Greet visitors as they enter the gallery and provide information on present and upcoming exhibitions, public events and general gallery and OCAD U information.
- Supervise the entrance and all areas of the exhibitions to enhance visitor experience, encourage conversation and engagement and enforce gallery rules and etiquette.
- Research the exhibiting artists/designers and exhibition themes, prepare and lead thoughtful tours and maintain a comprehensive understanding of the artists/designers and themes in the exhibition to facilitate discussion and meaningful engagement with viewers.
- Track daily attendance and encourage the recording of email addresses for Onsite Gallery's e-newsletter database, so patrons are aware of upcoming exhibitions and events.
- Ensure all exhibition elements are in proper working order and front reception and gallery areas are clean/tidy. Examine the exhibitions daily to identify if maintenance is needed on artworks, perform corrective action (as appropriate) and notify other staff as needed.
- Perform administrative tasks including writing reports related to gallery attendance and audience response. Replenishes gallery material, such as exhibition brochures, at the front desk and other areas as needed.
- Perform opening and closing duties including: turning on and off the works in the exhibition, keeping front reception tidy and locking all doors.
- Provide staffing assistance for all public programs and events, such as the opening reception, where duties may include: setup and takedown of chairs and tables, serving food, selling drinks and taking photographs.
- Assist with installation and de-installation of exhibitions, as needed, which may include: light lifting and moving of objects, installing hanging material, moving plinths, patch/repair and paint walls and hanging wall labels.
- Attend Student Monitor orientation meeting prior to the opening of an exhibition, and any other meetings as called by the Programs Coordinator or Curator.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Programs Coordinator and senior management.
- Eligible for the Institutional Work Study Plan (IWSP)*
- Currently enrolled as an OCAD University student
- Interest in contemporary art and design
- Comfortable in a public speaking role
- Strong verbal communication skills
- Ability to work under general direction and in a team environment
- Strong interpersonal skills; enjoy working with the public
- Must be able to work flexible hours for public event shifts
- Ability to operate audio/visual and office equipment
- Knowledge and comfort using social media (Facebook, Twitter and Instagram) to assist with Onsite Gallery's digital presence and promotion
- Smart Serve certified
Duration: early July to September 2018, with possibility of renewing for the following exhibition period
Rate of pay: $15.68 per hour (which includes in lieu of vacation and benefits)
Schedule: 1-3 regular weekly shifts to be determined, resulting in between 4-14.25 hours/week, depending on availability
Please submit the following to Linda Columbus, Programs Coordinator, at email@example.com:
- a cover letter
- your IWSP eligibility confirmation for the Summer 2018 semester
*Institutional Work Study consists of part-time employment for students on or near campus while they are enrolled in a program of instruction, to supplement OSAP assistance received by students, or to assist other students with demonstrated financial need.
Students must meet the following criteria in order to apply for the IWSP:
- Be a Undergraduate or Graduate student at OCAD U during the 2018 Summer semester
- Be a Canadian citizen, Permanent Resident or Protected Person
- Be Ontario resident or out-of-province student and have submitted an error-free loan application
- Be registered in full-time studies (as defined by OSAP) during the 2017/18 fall/winter semester; for the summer session students must be registered in at least 0.5 credits
- Demonstrate financial need (priority is given to OSAP students; out-of province students will only be considered if funds are available)
- Note: if you are an out-of-province student, you must attach a copy of your loan/student aid assessment document showing federal/provincial funding.
- Note: if you are restricted from OSAP or out-of-province loans, please visit the Financial Aid & Awards Office in person to meet with an advisor to discuss your restriction.
For more information on the IWSP program, please visit the Student Employment webpage here.
Applications will be accepted until 11:59 p.m., June 3, 2018.
As an employer committed to employment equity, we encourage applications from members of equity-seeking communities including women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities/expressions.